Yes, if you’re between 16 years of age or older! In order to earn your license..

You will be a safer, more confident driver if you learn with a professional. Plus, you’ll know everything you need to in order to pass your MTO driving test.

Call us toll-free at 888-757-1983

To earn a first drivers license as someone who has recently moved to California or as someone who has never had a drivers license before.

  • New to California and wanting to practice driving in heavier traffic or on California roadways.
  • To pass a DMV driving test in order to renew a drivers license.
  • To brush up on driving skills to be a safer, better drive

In Ontario, you can legally drive with an out-of-province licence for up to 60 days. After 60 days, you will have to apply for or exchange your existing driver’s licence for an Ontario licence.

If you have a full, valid licence from another Canadian province or territory, you can exchange your driver’s licence for an Ontario licence.atDriveTest Centre near you .

Switch from another country

If you have a valid driver’s licence from another country, you need to find out if your country has a licence exchange agreement with Ontario. You can find out from this list of eligible countries .

You can exchange your driver’s licence if your country is on this list. The exchange process is the same as if you’re from a Canadian province. Some conditions apply to drivers who do not have a full driver’s licence or are in a learning program. Find out more information for drivers who don’t have full licence and are moving to Ontario .

You can change your driver’s licence address in-person or online.

To change your address In Person :

  1. Go to your nearest Service Ontario office. Here’s a handy Service Ontario location finder.
  2. Bring your licence or your driver’s licence number or registrant identification number and have the date of issue on your driver’s licence. Remember to bring along these documents to prove your identity .

To change your address Online :

  1. Begin by logging into Service Ontario.
  2. Follow the prompts.
  3. NOTE: When you change your address at the Ministry of Transportation website, you must also change your address with the Ministries of Health and Long-Term Care. This makes the process a little longer.

Before you drive you have to take a written and a vision test.  Pick up a Drivers Handbook to begin to learn the rules of the road. You will also have to pay licencing and test fees. Bring the right identity documents

To apply for a driver’s licence in Ontario, you need to:

  • be at least 16 years old
  • pass an eye test
  • pass a written test about the rules of the road and traffic signs

Once you pass these tests, you get a G1 licence. You are considered a beginner driver and need to practice driving and gain experience over time.

Ontario Graduated Driver’s Licencing is a 2-step process for new and young drivers. The goal is to give new drivers practice and experience over a 20-month period – this length of time is the minimum it will take for a driver to pass through the graduated licencing system.

Must pass a written and vision test.

  • Must be accompanied by a fully licenced driver (4+ years).
  • Can drive between 5 am and midnight.
  • Can’t drive on 400 series highways.
  • Blood alcohol level must be zero.

Can drive and practice without another licenced driver.

  • Must maintain a zero blood alcohol level.
  • Can only carry as many passengers as there are working seatbelts.

There are more restrictions for G2 drivers under 19 years of age. Once a driver graduates to a full G licence, they have no driving restrictions.

This  is a driver’s licence that can also be used as a travel document for proof of identity and citizenship between Canada and the United States. It can only be used for land or water travel and is not permitted for air travel

  • Class G is for regular drivers of vehicles or a combination of vehicle and trailer that is not over 11,000 kilograms in weight and maximum capacity of 11 passengers. There are G1 and G2 classes that must be graduated from before a driver can get a full G class licence.
  • Class Mis for motorcycles and other limited speed motorcylces like scooters and mopeds. There are M1 and M2 classes that must be graduated from before a rider can get a full M class license.

There are many classes for commercial licences such as Class A for tractor trailers or Class B for school buses. You can learn more about all the Ontario licence classifactions at the MTO website

DriveTest is a private company that conducts all driving tests and manages driving documents on behalf of the Ontario government. DriveTest operates 55 DriveTest Centres across Ontario.

The Senior G Driver’s Licence Renewal Program is an Ontario driving program for seniors 80 years and over to renew their driver’s licence every two years. The Ontario government’s website provides comprehensive information about how to renew a licence, about the vision test and in-class screening.

If you are in Ontario at the time you lose your driver’s licence, go to your nearest Service Ontario for a replacement. Remember to bring personal ID to confirm your name, date of birth and your signature (a passport works well). You’ll be given a temporary driver’s licence. You’ll receive your permanent driver’s licence with your photo in 4-6 weeks.

If you’re outside of Ontario, you can request a one-time replacement of your licence. Once you return to Ontario, you will have to go into Service Ontario to replace your temporary licence.

Call Service Ontario at 416-235-2999 or (toll-free) 1-800-387-3445 (in Canada) to get more information.

There are a few different types of documents or records a driver can order from Service Ontario that have past driver and license information. So it’s important to understand which document is needed prior to ordering it. Be sure to confirm which specific document is needed for your purpose.

Driver’s Licence History

Driver’s Licence History record is one of the most common document needed by drivers for reasons such as employment or insurance. It provides information on a driver’s current and past driving history. It includes information about the driver (name, height, weight, etc.), present and previous addresses, dates of renewals and class changes (G1, G2 and G), beginner driver education course completion date and a few other things.

The Driver’s Licence History report is commonly used by new or young drivers to show proof of completion of a certified beginner driver education course. This report can be obtained online from Service Ontario.

Please go to the Service Ontario website to see a full list of all the driving record reports that are available.

Before you can get your suspended licence reinstated and renewed, you need to :

  1. Pay all outstanding fines
  2. Complete any court-ordered programs
  3. Compile documents to prove that your suspension has been lifted

The length of a licence suspension impacts the steps drivers have to take to have a licence reinstated.

Expired Less Than 1 Year

If your driver’s licence has expired for less than a year, you can renew it at any Service Ontario location. Make sure you bring the proper identification with you.

Expired More Than 1 Year But Less Than 3 Years

If your licence has expired for over one year but less than 3 years, you must go to a DriveTest Centre. You will have to take a vision test and pay licencing fees.

Expired More Than 3 Years But Less Than 10 Years

If your licence has been expired for over 3 year but less than 10, you will be considered a new driver. You must go to a DriveTest Centre to renew your licence. Drivers in this category do not have to wait the usual time frames that new drivers do. They will be required to take a vision test, pass the knowledge and road tests and pay the fees.

A beginners driver education course provides lots of benefits to new and young drivers :

  • Become A Better And Safer Driver– Driver education helps you build your skills and knowledge with a driving instructor – both in-class and in-car.
  • Get Discounts On Car Insurance– When you take drivers education with a certified school, you will receive discounts on your car insurance.
  • Get Your G Licence Quicker– Completing a driver education program means you move more quickly through the graduated licencing system (you can take your G1 driving test after 8 months).

More information :
Ontario government approved driver training schools
Car insurance savings tips & discounts for new and young drivers
Read about the benefits of drivers education

road test is an in-vehicle driving test to ensure that a driver has the required skills to safely drive the type of vehicle for the class of licence they are trying to obtain – G class, M class or a commercial class.

The most common road tests are for regular car (G class) and motorcylce (M class) drivers. To get a full G or M class licence a driver must successfully pass two levels of road tests :

Level One Road Test (or G2 / M2 Road Test)

Level one tests a driver to ensure that they have the basic skills and knowledge to drive safely on regular streets and roads (not 400 series highways or expressways). This includes basic driving manueuvres such as starting, stopping, turning, parking, changing lanes, etc. When a driver passes the level one road test they graduate to the next licence level – G2 or M2. Learn more about the Level One road test.

Level Two Road Test (or G / M Road Test)

Level two is much more demanding and tests drivers on advanced driving skills and knowledge. Drivers must prove that they can safely drive at high speed on 400 highways and expressways. When a driver passes the level two road test they will get their full G or M licences. Learn more about the Level Two road test.

Road tests must be completed at a DriveTest location. You can schedule a road test in 3 ways :

  1. Online – Go to the MTO website to schedule online
  2. At a DriveTest location – Find a DriveTest location
  3. By phone – this is an automated booking system. Call 1-888-570-6110 or 647-776-0331

When you finish your road test, your examiner will give you a full report on your driving. If you fail your road test, you will have to wait a minimum of 10 days before you can take the test again. Carefully read the examiner’s report so you can fix the driving errors the examiner identified during your test and work on improving those driving skills before you book another test.